.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Recipes from Bluesbaby

Have you ever found a great recipe online and then later when you wanted it, you just couldn't remember where it was located? This is my method of hanging on to our family recipes and others too good to lose. You may have to scroll all the way down for the archives and link sections.

Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Potatoes and Tomatoes (Swiss Sreak) Slow Cooker Crockpot

When I grew up this was a standard dinner made in a Nesco Roaster. It was a Round Steak cooked with cut up potatoes and canned tomatoes and called Swiss Steak at my house. It was popular as a recipe to tenderize tougher cuts of meat.

To me, the best part was always the potatoes cooked in the tomato liquid. I was never crazy about the round steak and much prefer chuck or rump roast. As I took over my own kitchen this became a slow cooker recipe I adapted as follows:

Chuck or Rump Roast (at least 1/2 lb per serving)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Russet Potatoes (1+ per person)
Onions
Garlic (optional)
Canned Tomatoes
Season to taste (For seasoning I use a blend with no salt called Steak & Chop Grill & Broil from The Spice Hunters)

Brown roast in pan with EVOO, if large roast can be cut into pieces
(my slow cooker has a removable part that can go on a burner).

Add chopped onions and garlic near the end of browning time.

Peel and cut at least 1 potato per person plus 1 for the pot.
Add enough cans of tomatoes to cover cut potatoes in liquid.
(These can be whole or diced, plain or with seasonings.)

For seasoning I use a blend with no salt. The tomatoes provide enough salt for me.

Cook in slow cooker on high at least 2 hours or until potatoes are done. This can be made in a covered pan in a 350 degree oven after browning. If oven method is used, monitor liquid so this does not dry out.

Leftovers lend themselves to yummy plan-overs. Meat and potatoes can be removed and used for tacos, nachos, or hash. The balance of tomatoes, garlic, and onions can be used for bacon spaghetti or works well with shrimp & rice to make a creole type dish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home