.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Recipes from Bluesbaby

Have you ever found a great recipe online and then later when you wanted it, you just couldn't remember where it was located? This is my method of hanging on to our family recipes and others too good to lose. You may have to scroll all the way down for the archives and link sections.

Saturday, November 09, 2013

My Pantry

Back in January of 2009 I posted the entire NYTimes article about this
http://www.bluesbabys-rants.blogspot.com/2009/01/staples-for-pantry.html
but its time to have a go at it again with a new one I found here because of moving into a house where the kitchen was already supplied. So at some point I will have to replace all the items I threw away or donated.

I will of course modify to my tastes: no bananas (allergies) or cilantro (I am one of those it just disgusts). I will also have more flavors of Better than Bullion than just Beef or Chicken, capers, dilly beans, pickled brussel sprouts, pickle relish, chili sauce, teriyaki, V8 (because I use it for Bloody Marys, canned soups (Tomato, Cream of Mushroom and Onion) but no curry, yellow mustard, wheat, or yeast. I buy yeast when I need it because I don't bake often. I have no one who is gluten free so that section is out.

There will probably be no dark chocolate or dark brown sugar, split peas, or lentils but I will have dried and canned beans of all sorts. I love to make Calico Beans which require an assortment AND a can or two of cheap baked beans (because they have more juice). I also have a few cans of spaghetti and pizza sauce. BTW Muir Glen makes a pizza sauce that is out of this world and cheap at Target ($1.29-1.39).

Pre-cooked crumbled bacon is another item that is mandatory as are fresh potatoes but they can be just Wisconsin russets. I go to the butcher and get my bacon, then split the packages in two and keep some in the freezer but if I can get good fresh tomatoes a BLT maybe breakfast, lunch or dinner that day. I also keep sesame oil in my fridge for stir frys.

http://www.barefeetinthekitchen.com/p/my-pantry.html
Here is the text I found there:

MY PANTRY

This is a list of the items that are currently in my kitchen. Ingredients change with the seasons and according to what is fresh and available. I have found that the simplest way to focus on natural ingredients means reading labels and creating foods from scratch in my own home whenever possible. I’m not obsessed with this and I’m certainly not judging anyone else for the foods in their pantry.

I use natural fats to cook and bake most of our foods. Olive oils, coconut oil and butter all have a place in my kitchen. My choices are primarily based on whether the food was found in nature or derived in a lab. For much more eloquent writing on this subject, you can read more on cooking with natural fats. In case that isn't enough linkage, there is also this list and this list.

I bake frequently, especially when I have willing persons to carry away the sweets. In the past, I used freshly ground wheat whenever possible. I ground my own wheat using a Nutrimill grain mill. In the case of a recipe not converting well to 100% whole wheat, I used all-purpose flour (referred to throughout this site as AP flour) to achieve a quality result. I continue to test my old baking recipes and try new ones in an attempt to improve the quality of our meals and desserts.

The majority of my gluten free recipes are listed with both AP flour and gluten free flour variations. If you have questions on any of these recipes, please leave a comment on the original post or email me at barefeetinthekitchen @ gmail . com. Learning to bake and cook gluten free does not need to be overwhelming.

PANTRY
Pastas, (angel hair, fusilli, elbow, cavatappi, penne, rotini)
Rice noodles
Glass noodles
Rice (Jasmine, brown, Arborio, basmati, Japanese/sushi rice)
Quinoa
Panko breadcrumbs
Black olives
Artichoke hearts
Canned tomatoes (crushed, diced, whole, stewed)
Canned tomatoes with green chiles
Canned tomato sauce
Canned tomato paste
Canned beans (white/cannellini, black, pinto, kidney, red)
Dried beans (pinto, black, white, red, kidney)
Lentils
Split peas
Canned green chiles (whole, chopped)
Canned chipotle chiles in adobo
Chicken broth and stock (if not homemade)
Red wine
White wine
Dried fruits (raisins, cranberries, apricots, apples)
Molasses
Honey
Maple syrup
Condensed milk
Coconut milk
Pumpkin

COOKING OILS & VINEGARS
Light flavored olive oil (labeled virgin or regular)
Extra virgin olive oil
Sesame oil (toasted, regular)
Coconut oil
Balsamic vinegar
White balsamic vinegar
Champagne vinegar
Apple cider vinegar
Rice vinegar
White wine vinegar
Red wine vinegar
Distilled vinegar

FRESH – ON THE COUNTERTOP
Onions (yellow, red)
Shallots
Potatoes (red, Yukon, russet, fingerling, purple)
Ginger
Garlic
Tomatoes (grape, vine ripe)
Apples
Bananas
Limes
Lemons
Oranges

COLD – STAPLES
Sriracha sauce
Tabasco sauce
Sambal oelek chili paste
Garlic chili paste
Mirin sweet wine seasoning
Sweet chili sauce
Soy sauce
Oyster sauce
Plum sauce
Hoisin sauce
Worcestershire sauce
Horseradish
Jams (peach, strawberry, apricot)
Salsa
Mustard (Dijon, yellow, course ground)
Mayonnaise
Ketchup
Better than bouillon base, beef and chicken
Pickles (sweet, dill)
Pepperoncini

COLD - PERISHABLES
Eggs
Butter, salted
Milk (whole, raw* when possible)
Cheese (cheddar, monterey jack, mozzarella, parmesan, pecorino romano)
Sour cream
Plain yogurt
Fresh vegetables (carrots, cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, green beans, bell peppers, summer squash, asparagus, green onions)
Fresh fruits (grapes, strawberries, raspberries, mangoes, peaches, melons)
Fresh herbs (Italian parsley, cilantro, basil, rosemary, dill, thyme)
Leafy greens (romaine, spring mix, baby spinach)

FROZEN
Beef (ground, roasts
Chicken (breasts, thighs, whole)
Pork (bacon, sausage, roasts, chops, tenderloin)
Seafood (salmon, tilapia, halibut, shrimp, ono)
Turkey (whole bird)
Berries (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries)
Fruits (peaches, bananas, grapes)
Vegetables (corn, peas)
Edamame
Nuts (all varieties)
Chicken stock and broth (if homemade)

SPICES
Salt (kosher, course sea, fine sea)
Freshly cracked black pepper
White pepper
Cayenne pepper
Crushed red pepper flakes
Mexican spice mix
Garlic (granulated or powder)
Onion (granulated or powder)
Smoked paprika
Cumin
Chile powder (usually NM red chile powder)
Basil
Thyme
Oregano
Sage
Bay leaves
Rosemary, crushed and leaves
Herbs de Provence
Italian seasoning mix
Dill
Parsley
Chives
Dried mustard
Mustard seeds
Celery seeds
Celery salt
Poppy seeds
Sesame seeds
Gharam masala
Curry
Turmeric
Cinnamon (ground and whole)
Nutmeg (ground and whole)
Allspice (ground and whole)
Cloves (ground and whole)
Ginger

BAKING
Vanilla extract
Vanilla beans
Almond extract
Lemon extract
Peppermint extract
AP flour
Hard white wheat (ground with a Nutrimill)
Soft white wheat (ground with a Nutrimill)
Cornmeal (store bought or ground with a Nutrimill)
Rolled oats
Quick cooking oats
Baking powder
Baking soda
Arrowroot powder or cornstarch
Active dry yeast
Sugar
Light brown sugar
Dark brown sugar
Powdered sugar
Cocoa powder
Dutch process cocoa powder
Dark chocolate chips
Semi-sweet chocolate chips
White chocolate chips
Shredded coconut
Peanut butter (creamy and chunky)
Almonds (sliced, slivered, whole and chopped)
Cashews
Pecans
Walnuts
Pine nuts

GLUTEN FREE BAKING
Brown rice flour
Tapioca flour/starch
Potato starch
Sorghum flour/starch
Oat flour
Buckwheat flour
Coconut flour
Blanched almond flour
Certified gluten free oats
Xantham gum

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home