.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Recipes from Bluesbaby

Have you ever found a great recipe online and then later when you wanted it, you just couldn't remember where it was located? This is my method of hanging on to our family recipes and others too good to lose. You may have to scroll all the way down for the archives and link sections.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Flakiest Pie Crust Ever

Recipe for the flakiest pie crust ever...

 Double crust -if you only need one, then you can half the recipe...if you are using a deep dish, I would stick with the double crust, there will be some left over but at least you'll have plenty for your pie.

2/3 C. chilled unsalted butter cut up in small cubes
6 Tbs of chilled shortening
2 2/3 C. flour
2 Tbs sugar (this is optional, I don't omit it personally)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C. ice cold water.

Mix in a large bowl the flour, sugar and salt. Using two knives or a pastry cutter, cut in the butter and shortening until the mixture is coarse.

Sprinkle the ice water onto the mixture a little at a time, use a fork to "fluff" the dough. Keep doing this until the dough starts to come together, you will still see shortening and butter in your dough, don't worry if it isn't completely incorporated...be careful not to over work it at this point and try not to handle it with your hands too much, the butter and shortening will heat up and the dough will be tough and leathery.

Turn the dough onto a floured surface and roll it out to the desired diameter and thickness...bake according to the recipe you are following. If you need to bake the shell first, I poke holes on the bottom of the pie dish and then line it with parchment paper. I add dry beans to the bottom, covering it and then bake at 350 until golden brown.

About half way through, I take the parchment paper and beans out so that the bottom can cook. Works like a charm. Enjoy, I hope you love this recipe as much as I do! :)

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting, You're a very skilled blogger.
I've joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your excellent post.
Also, I have shared your site in my social networks!

 
At 7:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's Happening i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I've discovered It absolutely useful and it
has aided me out loads. I hope to give a contribution & aid different customers like its helped me.
Good job.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home